Ipsos/Reuters Daily Election Tracking: Obama 49% - Romney 43%
Monday, September 24, 2012
Washington, D.C. - Obama remains up 6 points in today’s Reuters/Ipsos daily tracking poll: Obama 49% vs. Romney 43%
We have also included data today on Paul Ryan:
- Over half (56%) of Registered Voters are familiar with him, an increase since mid-August when just 35% said the same thing
- Voters are split evenly in terms of favorability towards the Republican Vice Presidential candidate 51% vs. 49%
- Similarly, voters are split when it comes to how the addition of Ryan to the ticket has impacted their view of Romney: 29% are more favorable towards Romney vs. 27% who are less favorable (on par with August findings which showed 26% more favorable vs. 24% less).
- Two in five (44%) say that Romney’s choice of Ryan as his running mate hasn’t had an impact on their favorability towards Romney – and this increases to 69% among Independents
- Ryan has yet to make a mark on many voters – over a quarter (27%) do not know if they feel he is qualified to be President. Three in ten voters (29%) believe that Paul Ryan is qualified to be President – including 6% of Democrats, 55% of Republicans, and 26% of Independents – and 44% do not believe he is qualified to be President.
- Over two in five (43%) believe that Biden is more qualified to be President than Ryan, while a third (36%) select Ryan over Biden – largely falling along party lines. A fifth (21%) are unsure. Back in August results were similar, with 42% selecting Biden vs. 32% for Ryan.
This is a daily rolling tracker – this means that we conduct 200-300 interviews a day, with occasional ‘boosts’, and aggregate data from the previous four days. The sample overlap that occurs as part of this process means that day-to-day changes will be incremental rather than large.
These are findings from an Ipsos poll conducted for Thomson Reuters from Sept 20-24, 2012. For the survey, a sample of 1,313
American registered voters (age 18 and over) was interviewed online. The precision of the Reuters/Ipsos online polls is measured using a credibility interval. In this case, the poll has a credibility interval of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points for Registered Voters and 3.5 for Likely Voters. For more information about credibility intervals, please see the appendix.
The data were weighted to the U.S. current population data by gender, age, education, and ethnicity. Statistical margins of error are not applicable to online polls. All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error and measurement error. Figures marked by an asterisk (*) indicate a percentage value of greater than zero but less than one half of a per cent. Where figures do not sum to 100, this is due to the effects of rounding.
For more information on this news release please contact:
Ipsos Public Affairs
Senior Vice President
Ipsos Public Affairs
About Ipsos Public Affairs
Ipsos Public Affairs is a non-partisan, objective, survey-based research practice made up of seasoned professionals. We conduct strategic research initiatives for a diverse number of American and international organizations, based not only on public opinion research, but elite stakeholder, corporate, and media opinion research.
Ipsos has media partnerships with the most prestigious news organizations around the world. In the U.S., UK and internationally, Ipsos Public Affairs is the media polling supplier to Reuters News, the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals, and the Hispanic polling partner of Telemundo Communications Group, a division of NBC Universal providing Spanish-language content to U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world.
Ipsos Public Affairs is a member of the Ipsos Group, a leading global survey-based market research company. We provide boutique-style customer service and work closely with our clients, while also undertaking global research.
To learn more visit: www.ipsos-na.com
Ipsos is an independent market research company controlled and managed by research professionals. Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos has grown into a worldwide research group with a strong presence in all key markets. In October 2011 Ipsos completed the acquisition of Synovate. The combination forms the world’s third largest market research company.
With offices in 84 countries, Ipsos delivers insightful expertise across six research specializations: advertising, customer loyalty, marketing, media, public affairs research, and survey management.
Ipsos researchers assess market potential and interpret market trends. They develop and build brands. They help clients build long-term relationships with their customers. They test advertising and study audience responses to various media and they measure public opinion around the globe.
Ipsos has been listed on the Paris Stock Exchange since 1999 and generated global revenues of €1,363 billion (1.897 billion USD) in 2011.
Visit www.ipsos-na.com to learn more about Ipsos offerings and capabilities.