Ipsos/Reuters Poll: September 2012
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Washington, D.C. - The Ipsos/Reuters September Political Poll collected by telephone, released this morning is attached. This data was collected after the end of the Democratic convention (Fri-Mon). There are some notable changes from last month:
- The proportion who now think things are heading in the ‘right direction’ has jumped 8 points to 39%; those who believe things are on the ‘wrong track’ has dropped from 64% to 55%
- Obama’s approval ratings have not changed significantly from last month – 50% approve and 46% disapprove (from 49%-48% last month)
- Voting Intention data shows a 3-point lead for Obama over Romney (48% vs. 45%) among Likely Voters.
- We asked which candidate is stronger on a range of issues. The two candidates are very close on the following:
- Jobs & the economy: Both on 44%
- Taxes: Obama 45% vs. Romney 42%
- Immigration: Obama 42% vs. Romney 43%
- Family values: Obama 44% vs. Romney 43%
- Leadership: Obama 46% vs. Romney 43%
- Obama leads on the remaining issues: healthcare, war on terror, foreign policy, national security, representing change, Medicare, social security, and Afghanistan
- Almost three quarters (72%) of Americans saw any coverage of either convention (27% did not see or watch any at all)
- Of those who saw something about the Conventions, Obama’s speech was watched by the most (71%), followed by Romney’s (69%), Bill Clinton’s (67%), Michelle Obama’s (65%), Ryan’s (59%), Ann Romney’s (55%), and Biden’s (49%)
- Independents were by far most likely to watch Mitt Romney’s (71%), and Barack and Michelle’ Obama’s (both at 70%)
These are findings from an Ipsos poll conducted for Reuters from Sept 7-10, 2012. For the survey, a nationally representative, randomly selected sample of exactly 1,089 adults aged 18 and older across the United States was interviewed by Ipsos via live telephone interviewing on landlines and cell phones. With a sample of this size, the results are considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20, of what they would have been had the entire adult population in the U.S. been polled.
All sample surveys and polls may be subject to other sources of error, including, but not limited to coverage error and measurement error. These data were weighted to ensure that the sample composition reflects that of the actual U.S. population according to U.S. Census figures. Respondents had the option to be interviewed in English or Spanish.Please note that throughout this document, figures based on Independent voters are indicative only due to small sample size. Figures marked by an asterisk (*) indicate a percentage value of greater than zero but less than one half
of a per cent. Where figures do not sum to 100, this is due to the effects of rounding. Responses are based on the full sample of adults unless otherwise noted.
For more information on this news release please contact:
Ipsos Public Affairs
Senior Vice President
Ipsos Public Affairs
About Ipsos Public Affairs
Ipsos Public Affairs is a non-partisan, objective, survey-based research practice made up of seasoned professionals. We conduct strategic research initiatives for a diverse number of American and international organizations, based not only on public opinion research, but elite stakeholder, corporate, and media opinion research.
Ipsos has media partnerships with the most prestigious news organizations around the world. In the U.S., UK and internationally, Ipsos Public Affairs is the media polling supplier to Reuters News, the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals, and the Hispanic polling partner of Telemundo Communications Group, a division of NBC Universal providing Spanish-language content to U.S. Hispanics and audiences around the world.
Ipsos Public Affairs is a member of the Ipsos Group, a leading global survey-based market research company. We provide boutique-style customer service and work closely with our clients, while also undertaking global research.
To learn more visit: www.ipsos-na.com
Ipsos is an independent market research company controlled and managed by research professionals. Founded in France in 1975, Ipsos has grown into a worldwide research group with a strong presence in all key markets. In October 2011 Ipsos completed the acquisition of Synovate. The combination forms the world’s third largest market research company.
With offices in 84 countries, Ipsos delivers insightful expertise across six research specializations: advertising, customer loyalty, marketing, media, public affairs research, and survey management.
Ipsos researchers assess market potential and interpret market trends. They develop and build brands. They help clients build long-term relationships with their customers. They test advertising and study audience responses to various media and they measure public opinion around the globe.
Ipsos has been listed on the Paris Stock Exchange since 1999 and generated global revenues of €1,363 billion (1.897 billion USD) in 2011.
Visit www.ipsos-na.com to learn more about Ipsos offerings and capabilities.